Frequently Asked Questions
- Does the Town pick up appliances?
Appliances and any scrap metal are picked up one week per month as a special collection. Metal is recycled separately. Call DPW to leave address for pick up.
- Does the Town pick up fencing and construction materials?
No, construction materials and fencing need to be disposed of privately. Residents may want to rent a small dumpster or take to RI Central Landfill. Please either call or visit their website for more information.
- Does the Town pick up furniture?
Most furniture that is not metal may go with regular trash. Please limit to one piece per week.
- Does the Town pick up electronics?
No, electronics including televisions and computer equipment must be brought to the Recycling Center.
- Does the Town pick up mattresses and box springs?
No, mattresses and box springs must be brought to a mattress collection container at DPW between 8 AM and 3 PM Monday through Friday.
- Is there a charge for special pickups?
There are no extra charges for any special pickups, such as metal, etc.
- Is the Recycling Center available to non-Barrington residents?
The Recycling Center is only for use by Barrington residents.
- Why did my branches not get picked up with yard waste?
Yard waste collection is limited to grass, weeds, small twigs that will easily compost in brown bags or barrels. Branches need to be chipped – the brush chipping program is limited to Spring and Fall and is a called in service. Specific dates are available on the Town Calendar or website.
- How do I get a recycling bin and does the Town provide trash cans?
The standard 22-gallon recycling bins are available at the DPW office. One recycling bin per residence is provided.
The Town does not provide trash barrels. Any barrel used for recycling or trash must be 32 gallons or less and weigh less than 50 pounds per ordinance.