Walker Farm Construction Update | November 17, 2022
- Walker Farm is closed to the public through Wednesday, November 23, 2022, including access to the boat ramp, to allow the construction team to complete work on the southern road surface.
- The Boat Ramp will be opened for use after November 23rd (in time for the Thanksgiving weekend), but the Dock next to the Boat Ramp will continue to be closed through the end of 2023.
- Please use the Town’s new dock at the Police Cove Park boat ramp if possible!
- The Town’s Leaf Site at Walker Farm will be closed both Thursday and Friday for the Thanksgiving holiday.
Walker Farm Construction Update | October 31, 2022
Walker Farm Construction is progressing and on schedule. Here's the latest:
- Construction of the "Viewing Platform" is almost complete - this new platform at the existing floating dock will offer more space for waterfront activities and will include informational/interpretive signage about Walker Farm history, wildlife, and coastal systems.
- A new roadway with parking, a walkway to a future low-profile paddlecraft dock (to be installed Spring 2023), and a parking lot at the north end of the site have been excavated and graded.
- Trees have been cleared, old concrete blocks and other debris have been removed from the shoreline, and the shoreline has been smoothed out to prepare for plantings. Save the Bay has conducted several site inspections/site visits to ensure the shoreline work is in line with the coastal adaptation/erosion goals set in the project.
- Plantings will be managed by Save the Bay in the Spring of 2023. Interested in volunteering to help with planting? Contact Save the Bay for volunteer opportunities!
- The Community Gardens, kayak sticker program, and East Bay Rowing Club access has ended for 2022. We look forward to a new and improved park for 2023 gardening, paddling, & rowing season!
- Most of the site remains closed to the public, and the construction work on the “circle” roadway at the south end of the site will take place from November 14-23, 2022. We hope to provide access to the boat ramp for Thanksgiving weekend.
- The existing FLOATING DOCK NEXT TO THE BOAT RAMP IS CLOSED FOR THE YEAR. It will re-open in early 2023. Please do not attempt to use this dock or climb on the construction fence.
- The boat ramp is OPEN for motorized craft launch and haul-out through November 14th, but PLEASE NOTE, two people will be required to on-load and off-load boats at the Walker Farm boat ramp because the floating dock is closed for the year.
- Please use the boat ramp at Police Cove Park for launch and haul-out of motorized boats. We just installed a really nice new dock at Police Cove Park – check it out!
The Town of Barrington extends thanks to all Walker Farm users for their cooperation and understanding as construction at the site progresses!
Walker Farm Construction Update | August 17, 2022
The town of Barrington extends thanks to all Walker Farm users for their cooperation and understanding as construction at the site progresses! Here's the latest:
- NOTICE: Users are prohibited from crossing the construction fence at Walker Farm. This includes access to the existing floating dock and gangway for this first phase of the project. This restriction is temporary and we will inform the public here of expected re-opening schedule. In the meantime, we respectfully as that users DO NOT CROSS the construction fence.
- Construction on the "Viewing Platform" will begin mid-August - this new platform at the existing floating dock will offer more space for waterfront activities and will include informational/interpretive signage about Walker Farm history, wildlife, and coastal systems.
- A 4-foot walking path was established to offer safe and uninterrupted access to the existing garden plots adjacent to the compost facility.
- Shoreline cleanup and earthwork has begun, which includes tree removal and removal of large pieces of concrete and metal debris from the water's edge. Save the Bay is partnering with the Town and contractor to oversee the shoreline re-grading and planting plans for the project, and Save the Bay staff have visited the site several times since construction began.
Questions? Please contact Town Planner Teresa Crean either by email or call.
Walker Farm Construction Update | August 4, 2022
Construction on the Walker Farm Recreation & Resilience Improvements project is now underway! The contractor team will work with the Town to provide limited public access during construction, scheduled for completion at the end of November 2022. While construction will require users to make adjustments during the remaining months of 2022, this project will result in a new and improved waterfront park facility for the 2023 rowing and boating season!
Here’s what you need to know about the 2022 construction process and visiting Walker Farm:
- PARKING will be very limited on site during construction. All users are encouraged to carpool from the RIDOT Park & Ride lot at the White Church.
- TRAILERS - Boat ramp access will remain open, but motorized boats coming in on trailers are encouraged to use the boat ramp at Police Cove Park during construction.
- BOAT STORAGE - The driveway “loop” will serve as boat storage for Town-issued kayak sticker holders and the East Bay Rowing Club. This area cannot accommodate any parking or additional vehicles during construction.
- EXISTING DOCK & GANGWAY - The entrance to the existing dock structure will have concrete work completed during the first month, so this dock will not be accessible during early phases of the project. The Town asks that park visitors not cross the construction fencing to access the existing dock.
- GARDEN PLOTS – Lease-holders for the garden plots adjacent to the Town’s compost facility will be provided a 4-foot walking path along the west edge of the gravel roadway. Unfortunately, vehicle access to the edge of the garden plots will be prohibited during construction.
The Town will provide updates on the status of construction status on this webpage.
Please contact Town Planner Teresa Crean either by email or call.