Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
Homeowners can do work on their own house and pull their own permit, though they must sign an affidavit to take responsibility for work to be performed, including inspections. For contractors, they must be licensed in Rhode Island.
Show All Answers
With the exception of paint, wallcoverings, flooring and fencing, most projects require a permit. Please check in with the office to confirm before beginning your project.
1) Visit the Barrington Main Street GIS website.
2) Using the search bar in the top right corner to type in the address.
3) Once the map loads, click on "Layers" on the left-hand side of the screen.
4) Check "Zoning" on the Layers list, and that will tell you what zone the property is in.
5) Use the dimensions regulations table (PDF) to determine the setbacks.
4) Check "Flood Zones Revised" on the Layers list, and you will see a blue layer appear if your property is in a flood zone.
PLEASE NOTE: Uploading an attachment to OpenGov works best on a desktop computer.
The attached PDF contains step-by-step instructions for uploading any files you may have to the "Attachments" section on the permit portal. Please note that the office does not accept paper copies. Uploading materials is the responsibility of the applicant.
How to Upload File Attachments to Viewpoint (PDF)
Setbacks - Dimensions Regulations Table (PDF)
Zoning Use Table - 185-8
Swimming Pool Requirements - 185-15
Fences - 185-20
At any point, use the "search" feature at the top of the page to look up a specific topic.