Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
With the exception of paint, wallcoverings, flooring, and fencing, most projects require a permit. Please check with the Building Official to confirm before beginning your project.
Show All Answers
Setbacks - Dimensional Regulations Table (PDF)
Zoning Use Table - 185-8
Swimming Pool Requirements - 185-15
Fences - 185-20
At any point, use the "search" feature at the top of the E-Code webpage to look up a specific topic.
Homeowners can do work on their own house and pull their own permit. The homeowner must sign an affidavit to take responsibility for work to be performed, including inspections. For contractors, they must be licensed in Rhode Island.
1) Visit the Barrington GIS website.
2) Using the search bar in the top right corner to type in the address.
3) Once the map loads, click on "Layers" on the left-hand side of the screen.
4) Check "Zoning" on the Layers list, and that will tell you what zone the property is in.
5) Use the dimensional regulations table (PDF) to determine the setbacks.
4) Check "Flood Zones Revised" on the Layers list, and you will see a blue layer appear if your property is in a flood zone (will begin with either an "AE" or "VE").