Village Center Streetscape Project - Advertised for Bid
The Village Center Streetscape Project is for the rehabilitation of sections of Cottage Street, Maple Avenue, West Street and Wood Avenue in the Town of Barrington. The work in the contract shall include, but not be limited to, removal and replacement of existing roadway pavement, removal and replacement of existing curb and sidewalks, installation of new sections of curb and sidewalks, curb extensions, full-depth pavement reconstruction, milling and overlay, stamped and colored concrete crosswalks and sidewalk banding, drainage improvements, landscaping, select tree removal, street signing and pavement markings, erosion controls, traffic control and all other incidentals, complete, in place and accepted, as necessary to complete the work of this contract to the satisfaction of the Engineer.
Sealed bids for the Village Center Streetscape Project, Barrington, RI, will be received at the Office of the Town Manager, 1st Floor, Barrington Town Hall, 283 County Road, Barrington, RI, until 11:00 A.M. prevailing time on Friday, August 12, 2016.
For more information, see the Government Bids page.
Community Garden Awarded RI Foundation Grant
From the RI Foundation:
The Town of Barrington received $6,611 to install a deer fence and community bulletin board at the Barrington Community Garden. The deer fence will negate the need for individual fencing around gardeners’ plots and protect a newly created common area. The weatherproof bulletin board will serve as a central hub for important communications regarding the community garden.
“The Barrington Community Garden is a vibrant community asset where Barrington residents grow food, learn practical gardening skills and interact with other gardeners of all ages, ethnicities and incomes,” said Barrington Town Manager Peter A. DeAngelis. “This grant will help us continue to build community in Barrington through a shared sense of purpose.”
Located off Wampanoag Trail, the garden is organic and offers 100-square-foot plots to residents in exchange for a small fee and a commitment to participate in scheduled upkeep of common areas. In just two years, the garden has matured from fallow land to 60 plots.
The Town supplies the garden with compost for the plots and woodchips to line the paths between plots. Thanks to a collaborative effort with the Barrington Energy Committee, water is available via a solar-operated pump that feeds spigots throughout the garden.
Solarize Barrington Projects Proceeding
Update on Solarize Barrington, as of July 15, 2016:
21 projects in the build stage (in progress/installed/inspected/complete)
4 projects are ready-to-build (on deck)
13 pending approvals
4 on hold (finance or construction reasons)
$11,042 paid to date in Barrington building permits
275,890 DC watts (slightly lower than 305,000 initial sign-ups)
317,274 kwh estimated year 1 production (conservative)
$61,868.43 estimated year 1 savings in electricity offsets (does not include REG income above $0.195/ kwh offset)
Solar in Action - Presentation Barrington resident Brian Vaughn gave a PowerPoint presentation recently at the White Church walking throughhis first-hand experience going solar. The PowerPoint is available here.
A retirement Party in honor of Peter DeAngelis, 40 years of service to the Town of Barrington.
To be held on Wednesday, September 21, 2016 at the RI Country Club.
Tickets are $50. per person
Please call Jean Bellm at 401.247.1900 x 5 to purchase tickets, please view invitation.
Meet the Candidates
On Thursday, September 1, from 10 AM to 11:30, there will be a public forum to meet the finalists in the Town Manager selection process.
- TOWN BUDGET
- 2016 ELECTIONS
- YOU MUST DISAFFILIATE BY JUNE 15, 2016 FOR THE SEPTEMBER 13TH PRIMARY
- September 13, 2016 primary mail ballot applications (Democrat and Republican) have been posted on the RI State website here: http://sos.ri.gov/divisions/Elections/upcoming-election/Upcoming-elections-center.
- The General Election mail ballot applications (English and Spanish) on our website here: http://sos.ri.gov/divisions/Elections/upcoming-election/Upcoming-elections-center
- Last day to register to vote for primary election is August 14, 2016
- September Primary - Last Day to apply for Mail Ballot: August 23, 2016. Emergency Ballot Period: August 24-September 12, 2016
- General Election - Last Day to apply for Mail Ballot: October 18, 2016. Emergency Ballot Period: October 19-November 7, 2016
- NEW: Contact the Economic Development Committee - firstname.lastname@example.org
- Allin’s Cove Conservation Management Plan
- Barrington 300 - 1717 to 2017. Your interest in Barrington 300 is welcome!
- BARRINGTON 300 All are welcome! Please join us for our next meeting on Tuesday, August 23, 2016, at the Barrington SENIOR CENTER, from 6 pm to 7:30 pm. Tell me more about Barrington 300!
- White Church Bridge / Central Bridge: There is the potential for short periods of alternating traffic, weekdays from from 7 AM to 3 PM. We apologize for the inconvenience.
- Employment Opportunities - Latest openings are posted on the Employment Opportunities page.
- Volunteer Opportunities. The Town Council is looking for volunteers to serve on various boards and commissions.
- Consumer Alert / RI Office of the Attorney General - IRS Scam
- Hunting Regulations. If you have questions regarding hunting regulations click on www.dem.ri.gov .
- See the Town of Barrington Animal Control page for the latest lost and found listing of dogs, cats and other animals in Barrington.
- Please contact Animal Control Officer Patti Watson at email@example.com or call (401) 437-3935
- Eco-Depot calendar to alleviate traffic here onsite during RI Recycles Day. That’s available at: http://rirrc.org/ecodepot